Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The Keepsake by Tess Gerritsen

After I read The Silent Girl by Tess Gerritsen, I went to the library to borrow one of her books. In one of life's many coincidences, the next Tess Gerritsen book Aunty Florence wanted to lend me was The Keepsake, which happened to be the one I borrowed. It reminded me of how God works, that he's underneath sustaining things/letting the earth keep on going, and every now and then, you see his power in miraculous ways (this is a bad paraphrase of G. K. Chesterton)

But anyway, The Keepsake has an interesting premise. Someone has been leaving preserved women, starting from a 'mummy' found to be a recently killed body. And everything seems to revolve around the Crispin museum, specifically, a young archeology student named 'Josephine'. But as the story progresses, her identity is called into question.

I was glad to see the coroner Maura Isle feature more prominently in the book. However, detective Jane is still the main character. I don't really know why, but I find her rather irritating. But I do like the other characters, which is why I'll continue reading the series.

To me, this is one of the few good murder series around. It's very rare to find a modern author who does not use explicit material or copious use of profanities. Futhermore, the books are well-written and doesn't feel cliched at all (despite the fact that -spoiler alert- it is about a stalker-obsession book).

No comments :

Post a Comment

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^