Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Classic Popeye Volume 1 by Bard Sagendorf

How many of you know this children's song? It goes

"I'm Popeye the sailor man -whoot whoot-
I live in the garbage can -whoot whoot-
I open the door and I - "

Ok, maybe talking about using the toilet isn't a very good way to start a review. Anyway, the point of this whole song was to see who used to watch Popeye cartoons as a kid. I certainly did, and I probably have a few CDs still lying around (for the younger kiddies - CD's are like DVDs but with less storage space. I think. I'm not sure how it works(;)

So when I saw this on NetGalley, obviously I jumped at the chance to read it!

And it was as good as I thought. Before, I only had one Popeye comic, and that was in Chinese (well, it was half-Chinese half-English anyway). This four volumes in one book comic was a really fun read. I just stopped reading a lot of books to finish this.

I never though of Olive Oyl and Wimpy as being greedy before (especially Wimpy). Popeye also comes across as a much more idealistic/kindhearted character. I loved seeing how they were in the original. And I even got to see Sweet Pea talk! I don't think he appears much in the episodes I own.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go to youtube to look for some cartoons to watch(;

Disclaimer: I got a free copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for a free and honest review.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^