Friday, August 16, 2013

Tristis Manor by J.R. Wagner

Tristis Manor is a novella, but it packs a punch. It starts off with Margaret, the protagonist as she hides in a larder. It's the place that she considers safe, and unfortunately, she scratches the floor so hard that her fingernails come off.

And that sets of a chain of events that end up with her almost dying of an infection. But just as she's about to die, she has a weird dream - and then she gets better.

I have a feeling that this dream is important - and that this novella is part of a greater series. Let me go check it out.

*crickets*

*foot tapping*

I'm back! Looks like this is part of a series called The Never Chronicles. I've never heard of it, but Margaret is such an intriguing character that I would love to read more. Plus, if this novella is any exception, the series will deal with some pretty deep issues.

My summary above totally ignores the heart of the book, so to speak. After all, why is Margaret harming herself? The why is the most important, and well, the reason was darker than I expected. It is hinted in the novel (up to the reveal), but it's not too obvious. The trauma that Margaret suffers makes it so that not that much information is revealed.

This is a wonderful novella. It covers a bunch of difficult issues well, and now I'm looking forward to reading the series (I really have to get to a library once I get back to Singapore)

Disclaimer: I got a free copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for a free and honest review.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^