Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Manga Classics: Pride and Prejudice Adapted by Stacy King

A little while ago, I reviewed the manga version of Les Miserables. And now, I'm reviewing Pride and Prejudice! Since Pride and Prejudice is one of my favourite books, my expectations for this manga was very high.

Luckily, the book did not disappoint. It's roughly the same length as Les Miserables, which means that compared to Les Miserables, a lot less material was cut out. For that, I'm thankful, because it's the detail in Pride and Prejudice that I love.

At first, I was a bit hesitant about the style of the book (it's very shojo manga-ish) because I had this nagging feeling that these were Japanese characters with wigs on them. I think it's the face. The face looks Japanese to me, but the hair is very foreign. Somehow, I didn't really have this issue with Les Miserables. Actually, compared to Les Miserables, the style of Pride and Prejudice feels much, much girlier.

But, once I got over that, I really enjoyed this book. There are loads of things to love, such as how perfectly Darcy fits the tsundere character. And because I'm very influenced by the movies/tv series, I actually think that Darcy here shows quite a lot of emotion. Or at least, the book itself makes him seem much more emotionless (and he certainly did not blush as much in the movie/tv series).

All in all, I really enjoyed this manga as well. Take a look at the artwork for yourself, and if you like it (and you liked the original book), you should definitely consider getting a copy.

Artwork preview (Click to see the closeups!):

The famous scene

Mrs. Bennet is kira-kira

Bennet girls
Disclaimer: I got a free copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for a free and honest review.

1 comment :

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^