Monday, May 8, 2017

Not Just Jane by Shelley DeWees

Hi everyone!! Just wanted to say hi because I haven't posted for most of last week. It was Golden Week in Japan, which means holiday for most of the country and peak season for me (I guess that's what working in the tourism industry does). I've been way busier than normal as a result and haven't had the energy to turn on my computer for most of the week. But, I'm finally back(: Ok, time for the review. 

So I saw this book and just had to borrow it. I love Jane Austen, but I'm also looking out for more authors from that time period.

Not Just Jane is a collection of seven mini-biographies of authoress's who were famous in their day yet almost completely unknown now. They aren't even studied that often in the field of literature! Which is a huge pity because they led interesting lives and wrote some groundbreaking novels at a time when women were supposed to be wives and nothing else.

The authoress's in this book are:

Charlotte Turner Smith
Helen Maria Williams
Mary Robinson
Catherine Crowe
Sara Coleridge
Dinah Mulock Craik
Mary Elizabeth Braddon

They all led different lives and wrote different things, but they all seem to be amazing women and amazing writers. Along with a biography, Shelley DeWees also provides an introduction to the period of that time, making me feel very grateful to be writing now, with much fewer barriers.

I'm not sure if the NLB has any of their books, but there's a good chance that Project Gutenberg does. I've already found Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon. It was the best-seller when it came out and propelled her to stardom (and scandal). I'm really looking forward to reading that when I have the time.

This is a must-read for everyone. The biographies are short (about 20 pages on my iPad) and I managed to devour the book in two days. I'd recommend having a tab open to Project Gutenberg or Manybooks while you read, so that you can check for your next read at the same time.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^